Friday, January 16, 2009

Appointment in Samara - Food for Thought

Art used by permission by Pat Marvenko Smith, copyright 1992. To order prints visit her "Revelation Illustrated" site, http://www.revelationillustrated.com/ .

Let me rather give you John O'Hara. At the beginning of O'Hara's novel Appointment in Samara, he tells a brief parable, which I'll summarize:

There was a merchant in Baghdad who went to the market with his servant. There they saw Death, who stared at the servant in what seemed a threatening way. Later the servant said "Master, lend me a horse. I shall ride to Samara, and there Death will not find me." The merchant did so, then returned to the market, where he again saw Death, whom he approached and asked why he had stared at his servant in such a threatening way. Death responded, "I wasn't threatening him. I was just very surprised to see him here in Baghdad, since I have an appointment with him in Samara later this afternoon."

Source=>> Foundation of Crisis

I love Pat's Artwork please support her work by ordering your favorite, they are all authentic artwork that will make the conversation piece of any space . Pat's artwork speaks a thousand words and then some and the parable reminds us of our own mortality and that which must be. The combination of Pat's work and the parable made an impact that I wished to share with you.

No comments: