Sunday, August 24, 2008

End Guardianship Abuses in Michigan

Burton Hawn was a friend of mine. For his first 64 years, he lived in his parent's home on Huron River Drive in Rockwood, Michigan. He had his own apartment, friends, and large collections of videos and tapes, and of course all the latest electronic gadgets. He was a familiar site in Rockwood as he cruised everywhere in his wheelchair and his customized golf cart. Everyone in town knew and recognized Burton.

Burton Hawn was forced to leave without a change of clothing and never saw his home or most of his possessions again. Burton died of a broken heart in February of 2002. May he rest in peace.

Michael Rowe is a person with a disability due to a motorcycle accident (Sept. 1982) at the age of 16. He lived in foster care for fourteen years after his accident, graduated from high school, took part in the Battle Creek Disabled Sports and, United Cerebral Palsy Athletic Association.

Thanks to the abuses he is living with under Michigan guardianship, he now is locked away, without access to phone, news, family or friends.

Read Mike Rowe's story.

What rights do we have? See Michigan guardianship rights (in PDF format)

Suffolk County, New York the story of Drugging Granny.

COURT: If you believe you are being treated unfairly, save all documentation and submit your complaints to your judge in writing. If you are still unhappy, write to your county's chief judge.

POLICE: If fraud has occurred, you could report your problem to your police department.

ATTORNEY GENERAL: The state Attorney General's Office investigates fraud. If your loved one is in an institution such as a nursing home or home for the aged and has had problems, call (800) 242-2873 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. weekdays, or leave a message anytime.

PUBLIC ADMINISTRATOR: Questions or concerns about a county public administrator may be directed to the state public administrator, Andrew Quinn, (517) 373-1145, between 9 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. weekdays.

ATTORNEY GRIEVANCE COMMISSION: If your guardian or conservator is an attorney, you could also file a complaint with the Attorney Grievance Commission. Call (313) 961-6585 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. weekdays.

No comments: