Friday, August 24, 2007

Florida Senator Ronda Storm "Very Concerned" Authorities in Florida Soft on Criminals

American crime and lack of punishment. There is a murdered police officer as a result. Seven days ago, 24-year-old Michael Phillips, a career criminal, murdered Florida police officer Ronald Harrison.

Shortly after that, SWAT officers killed Phillips. Now yesterday, Sergeant Harrison was buried. And it never should have happened. That's because the killer Phillips had 19 arrests and a violent history. He should have been in prison. After he shot Sergeant Harrison, his girlfriend called 911...

MICHAEL PHILLIPS' GIRLFRIEND: I am his girlfriend and he's calling me and shooting that gun off and threatening me and I don't want to be involved, is what I'm scared of and why I called, because I think he's drunk and doing crazy stuff and he called me — he told me that he shot a cop three times.

O'REILLY: So what was Michael Phillips doing out on the street? Well, Judge Manuel Lopez put him there. Prosecutors wanted no bail on an assault beef. But Lopez let Phillips out. So we sent "Factor" producer Jesse Watters down to talk with Judge Lopez.

JESSE WATTERS: Hey, judge, why did you give that guy such a low bail? Hey, judge, why did you give Michael Phillips such a low bail? Judge, you have an obligation to talk to us here. You're a public official. Why was the bail so low?

MANUEL LOPEZ, FLORIDA CIRCUIT JUDGE: I'm not going to answer any more questions about this case right now. I've already given my statement to the media. And I'm not going to collaborate any more on this.

WATTERS: Well, a lot of people are saying that your statement was insufficient.

LOPEZ: That is the public's right to reach that opinion. I've given the only statement I'm going to give, sir. Can I make it any clearer than that? Anything else you'd like to say? I'm not going to respond to your comment.

WATTERS: Why was the bail so low? The guy had 19 arrests. Burglary, battery, witness tampering, drug possession, it was a mile long. The guy was obviously a violent criminal with no respect for law enforcement. Wasn't there a red flag? Do you want to come on "The O'Reilly Factor?"

LOPEZ: Absolutely not.

O'REILLY: Joining us now from Tampa, Florida State Senator Ronda Storms

RONDA STORMS, FLORIDA STATE SENATOR: Well, first of all, this has been very traumatic for our community. It's been traumatic for the law enforcement family. And it's been very
traumatic, I believe, for the judge. People are holding him accountable.

the fact of the matter is this killer was 12-years-old when he started his career. And he had a mile long...

O'REILLY: No, there's no question about it. I mean, that's why...

STORMS: Battery...

O'REILLY: Right.

STORMS: Right.

O'REILLY: Every...

STORMS: Assault...

O'REILLY: And not only that...

STORMS: Everything.

O'REILLY: ...he — not only was he a criminal with multiple convictions and a violent man, but he was a Nazi. Did you know that?

STORMS: Right.

O'REILLY: This is an Aryan guy who made statements, anti-black statements, this, that and the other thing. So you got a guy on an assault beef. And the prosecutors come in in Hillsboro County. And they say to Judge Lopez, don't let the guy out.

STORMS: Right.

O'REILLY: The guy's too erratic. He's violent. He's a racist. We've got him now. Keep him in. And not only does Judge Lopez, Senator, say I'm going to give him bail, he gives him some $150 bail. Come on. I mean, you know, fine — everybody makes mistakes, including judges, but this is a colossal mistake. Inexplicable mistake, is it not?

STORMS: Well, it's a huge mistake. And the result is blood is spilled of an innocent law enforcement officer. And that's terrible.

STORMS: Well, I think what we need to take a look at in the legislature, and I believe Florida senators and Florida House members are very concerned. We were there at the funeral. We went to the wake. We sat there. We offered our condolences with the family. And so I think that they really care about it. We have two retired law enforcement officers in the Florida Senate. And I think they care about...

Edited for E.A. read the entire interview on Fox News here >>

---------------------------------------------

Good for you Senator Ronda Storms, we are glad finally some's there to speak up for the victims and their families. We admire your gumption in standing up with your constituency and saying ENOUGH!

Let this be a warning to others , if you are soft on criminals, when they go out and hurt others you will be accountable, think twice before you release these monsters out to pillage ,rape and murder otherwise you might find a Television Camera and some very UN happy people in your own backyard.


Please take a minute and send Senator Ronda Storms a note of appreciation for speaking up for the victims and their familes , Senator Storms you Rock!


storms.ronda.web@flsenate.gov



No comments: